Site icon New Beginnings Immigration

Guide to Bring Your Children to Study in Canada

bring your children to study in canada

Canada has a unique educational system that varies from province to province, and each province is responsible for its own schools. To bring your children to study in Canada, there are certain conditions that need to be met, and the information shared in this post is the most common practices across the country.

One of the most important things to note is that Canadian children of permanent and temporary residents have access to the public education system in Canada. However, temporary residents may have specific conditions that vary depending on the type of study of the parents, the duration of the study program, or the work visa that the parents have. For children who are going to study at a Canadian school, a visitor record or study permit is required.

In British Columbia, for example, children will only have access to free public school if their parent is enrolled in a diploma course at a public school or in a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate course at a public or private school. They can also qualify for free education if parents are taking a pathway course as long as they have already been accepted into a program that will qualify them and if they have a 12 month study permit.

On the other hand, in the province of Ontario, children can study in a public school even if their parents are enrolled in a certificate course in a public or private school. The school board in your region will have the final say on your child’s acceptance to school and whether it will be free or if you will have to pay tuition.

If you are unable to secure free education for your child, there is the option to pay tuition for public schools or enroll your child in a private school, which is also available for international students.

In terms of the structure of the Canadian education system, elementary school usually begins at four or five years old (depending on the province) and goes up to 12 years old (pre-kindergarten or kindergarten up to grade 7). High school, on the other hand, goes from 13 to 17 years (grade 8 to grade 12). Some cities have Middle School, which goes from grade 6 to 8.

If you are considering sending your child to study in Canada, note that he or she must be at least 15 years old (grade 9). The annual cost varies from CAD $17,000.00 to CAD $27,000.00 per year, depending on the province and school.

While access to free education is available for a large part of the population, for those who do not qualify or for those who want to offer a temporary study experience abroad for their children, there is the option of paying tuition. In British Columbia, for example, tuition for one year of studies in public primary (Elementary) or secondary school (high school) is around CAD $17,000.

Lastly, homeschooling is authorized and accepted in all provinces, but it is necessary to follow all requirements and rules of your place of residence. If you are interested in starting a study plan for you and your family or to bring your children to study in Canada, contact New Beginnings Immigration, and we will be happy to help you.

Exit mobile version